Character Ink is expanding our cottage classes for summer 2015 to include a ten week summer session. (It is recommended that your student be able to attend eight of the ten meetings.)
Call Donna Reish to inquire about availability of class spots: 260-433-4365. Address: 11120 Aboite Center Road, FW. 46814.
Here are the classes that we are considering:
(1) Jump Start I–a remedial writing class (that will not be called remedial after this post!) for students going into sixth to ninth grades who are writing below a sixth grade level right now. For example, a student coming into this class might only be able to write a couple of paragraphs on his own (or not more than four). This class will take most writers from a fourth through sixth grade writing level up to seventh or eighth grade level! This is a good class for students who are at a higher level in grammar and spelling than they are writing but want to go into CQLA in the fall–though that is definitely not required.
(2) Jump Start II–a remedial writing class (that will not be called remedial after this post!) for students going into eight through twelfth grades who are writing below an eighth or ninth grade writing level right now. For example, a student coming into this class might only be able to write four or five paragraphs on his own (not more than six or so) and not able to include quotations, various sentence structures, and other high school techniques. This class will take more writers from a seventh or eighth grade writing level up to a tenth grade writing level! This is a good class for students who are at a higher level in grammar and spelling than they are writing but want to go into CQLA in the fall–though that is definitely not required.
(3) Elementary Language Arts–This “remedial” class is for students in grades three through six who need additional tutoring in vocabulary, spelling, editing, grammar, usage, writing, and comprehension. This will cover all aspects of language arts and will use Character Quality Language Arts Level A as its basis.
(4) Private Tutoring Option–Depending on how full the classes are, I would consider doing a few private tutoring sessions or very small group sessions in whatever areas of language arts you desire (including learning to read for young students and reading comprehension/fluency for olders–I would test reading levels at the first session and go from there…).
(1) Classes will be on Tuesday mornings beginning on Tuesday, June 2nd, at our home on Aboite Center Road (across from the back of Homestead High School).
(2) Each of the three classes will be seventy to ninety minutes in length, depending on number of attendees.
(3) Classes will run for ten weeks; however, since it is summer, we will charge only for the classes that your student attends at a minimum of eight classes. In other words, everybody will be charged for eight of the ten classes regardless of ability to attend eight of the ten classes. (Obviously, the more classes a student attends, the better his skill improvement!)
(4) Homework will be given, and you should plan for your student to work on his assignments thirty to forty minutes a day the other four week days. (Please do not send a student who does not have time to do the homework! It is crucial to the success of the program! 🙂 ) Note also that if your student misses class, no homework will be expected (unless you want it).
(5) I (Donna) will be the only summer teacher; therefore, we are only able to offer a select number of classes. If you want another class (i.e. story writing or SAT Essay or research writing, and you can get four students or more to attend, please feel free to call or text me to discuss that offering possibility.
(6) Classes will be held on Tuesday mornings with this or a similar schedule (again, depending on enrollees’ schedules):
Elementary Language Arts–9:00-10:15
Jump Start I—10:15-11:30
Jump Start II–11:30-12:45
(8) Class fees and books will be due in two parts–half with registration and half on the first day of class. Here are the totals:
Eight class meetings (or more if student can attend all ten!): $80
Books/copies (at least 300 pages!): $30
Total tuition and fees: $110 (or up to $130 if all ten classes are attended)