I recently went to a shower where I was encouraged to try a dessert that I would normally not try. (It looked like it had lemon…not a lemon fan. Plus, it didn’t have chocolate. I was planning to use my saved “sugar” allottment for the week on chocolate only!)
Anyway, I took a bite and it was heavenly. It tasted so much like my old fashioned sugar cream pie recipe that I was sure it must have taken its baker an hour of stirring on medium low heat before pouring it into some kind of crust that must have taken another hour to make.
I was wrong! And when the cook told me how simple the recipe was (she could tell it as we stood munching on them–without even looking up a long list of ingredients or steps), I knew I had to have that recipe. My guys and I (two or three sons, husband, and I often bake/cook together for special events/potlucks, etc.) could whip this up in ten to fifteen minutes (minus baking time).
So here we are on a Saturday morning making a dessert to take to our ballroom dance tonight and a potluck tomorrow night–and in ten minutes, these lucious babies will be in the oven!
“Old Fashioned Sugar Cream” Squares
2 rolls regular crescent roll dough
… 2 bars regular cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
sugar and cinnamon mixture
1. Spray 9 x 13 glass baking dish with PAM.
2. Roll out one tube of dough and press into pan.
3. Mix cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla together.
4. Spread over bottom dough in pan.
5. Roll out other tube of dough and place over cream cheese mixture.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture.
7. Bake at 325 for 25 mins regular oven (20 mins convection).
8. Chill. Better cold…